Chapter Thirty


Baseball II

People always give me a ton of crap about my baseball team. Yes, I like the New York Yankees and no, I have never lived in New York. I can like whoever I want without having to explain myself; this is still the United States of America, right?


But to diffuse any sort of berating or name-calling, I can actually link and explain why I like the New York Yankees. I grew up in Columbus, Ohio and we have a minor league team here called the Columbus Clippers. Up until a few years ago, the Clippers (who are now the Cleveland Indians farm team) were a farm system team that supplied players to the Yankees. A lot of the current Yankees that are playing now came up through Columbus. I got to see some of the greats play here for a four-dollar ticket.

Some guys who came through here are headed for the baseball Hall of Fame. Players like Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter are pretty much shoe-ins for Cooperstown and I saw them on the field at lonely Clipper (Cooper) stadium. The list of players I saw her who went on to become great in the major leagues is kinda large now that I think about it. Here is a list:

·Steve Balboni
·Deion Sanders
·Melky Cabrera
·Chien-Ming Wang
·Robinson Canó
·Bubba Crosby
·Derek Jeter
·Don Mattingly
·Otis Nixon
·Andy Pettitte
·Andy Phillips
·Jorge Posada
·Dave Righetti
·Mariano Rivera
·Alfonso Soriano
·Bernie Williams
·Darryl Strawberry
·Carlos Peña

That’s a pretty impressive list considering the Clippers and Yankees had only a 27-year relationship. Looking over that list, I can see possibly three more Hall of Famers who might or might not be actually voted into the Hall. And I got to watch all of them play at least once. That is why I like the Yankees and that is why I still root for them even though they no longer have a relationship with the Clippers. I even got to see Bucky Dent coach…so take that Sox fans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment